President Elsa Caballero
Let this verdict serve as a reminder that #BlackLivesMatter and working people deserve to live their lives without the threat of harassment or loss at the hands of those who have sworn to serve and protect the community. This verdict is just a one step to addressing police accountability.
We join with the Texas AFL and endorse legislation on police reform that bans chokeholds, requires peace officers to render aid to individuals in need of assistance, and establishes de-escalation techniques to avoid fatal violence.
We can not wait. We must not wait on police reform. This bill should become law now."
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
While much has been learned about the Coronavirus (COVID-19), there is still a lot public health experts don’t know. Our ability to be united in our union to address this virus is yet another example of why all working people need the opportunity to join together in a union, no matter where they work.
Are you a worker who’s been impacted by COVID-19? Check out these helpful resources to ensure you are safe at work:
- COVID-19 Rights at Work FAQs
- Information and FAQs: TX Unemployment Benefits for Workers Impacted COVID-19
- 10 Steps to Preventing Coronavirus (or COVID-19)
- You Have Rights: Protect Your Health
- 2019 Novel Coronavirus: A Fact Sheet for Healthcare Workers
- Workers Checklist on Addressing Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Together we can prevent the spread of the virus.
- COVID-19 is preventable and treatable, but only if we ensure working people are informed and protected.
- Basic wellness practices like frequent handwashing and staying home if sick can help reduce the spread of COVID-19
- Working people across the country, including people on the front lines of our healthcare system, schools and airports face an increased risk of exposure to illness.
- Employers must have contingency plans should working people see their work places closed or their hours scaled back as this health emergency grows.
SEIU TEXAS Member Health and Safety Demands
Times of emergency require us all to move beyond business as usual. We must come together as a City and demand that the largest, wealthiest, and most powerful corporations and industries show leadership by looking past their bottom lines to do what’s right for public health and the health and safety of workers.
SEIU Texas janitors are on the front lines of cleaning and disinfecting Houston’s commercial office buildings. Ensuring that our buildings are clean will be critical to a safe and successful reopening of our economy. As essential workers we deserve to be given the tools and training to protect ourselves as we come into work every day to keep our tenants and the public safe. We are calling on our employers to be responsible contractors and meet our health and safety demands. As janitors and the tenants in the buildings we clean return to work we need the following:
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to Keep Janitors and the Public Safe: Cleaning contractors must provide janitors with effective gloves and masks and must agree to comply with CDC and OSHA guidelines for safe workplaces. Janitors must be provided with adequate cleaning supplies and disinfectant, such as EPA registered disinfectants.
- Sick Janitors and Janitors Exposed to COVID-19 Should Have the Ability to Stay Home: Cleaning contractors should put in place procedures to allow janitors who are sick or who have been exposed to COVID-19 to stay home without loss of pay.
- Health and Safety Training: Cleaning contractors should provide janitors with necessary training to ensure janitors are working as safely as possible.
- Retain Experienced Janitors Who Are in the Best Position to Keep Our Buildings Clean: Cleaning contractors have laid off hundreds of janitors as a result of building closures. Now is the time to bring janitors back responsibly and to make sure that experienced janitors are able to return to work.
Our voices are critical to ensuring that Houston’s office buildings are safe places to work. You may call the Member Resource Center (MRC) at 866-478-0366.
Our dispute is with this building’s cleaning contractor. We have no dispute with any other employer. We are not making a request to cease performing services or deliveries.
Why We Fight
"It’s past time we recognize the invisible workforce keeping our airports running smoothly and safely—a workforce whose contributions have never been clearer during than throughout the pandemic."
Airport workers sacrificed their safety to ensure ours during the pandemic: It’s time we repay them
Ababuti Olok, a contracted SkyCap worker and wheelchair attendant at Logan Airport in Boston, has experienced more than his fair share of hardship. He...
Last week I was sworn in as an International VP on @SEIU’s executive board. I’m proud to represent @SEIUTX.
Congratulations to our new Secretary Treasurer @aprildverrett and executive VP Joseph Bryant. Thank you @MaryKayHenry for this amazing opportunity. Si se Puede!
Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class 'Elementor\Scheme_Color' not found in /home/customer/www/seiutx.org/public_html/wp-content/plugins/gavias-oxpitan-themer/elementor/elements/gva-icon-box-styles.php:287 Stack trace: #0 /home/customer/www/seiutx.org/public_html/wp-content/plugins/elementor/includes/base/controls-stack.php(2280): GVAElement_Icon_Box_Styles->_register_controls() #1 /home/customer/www/seiutx.org/public_html/wp-content/plugins/elementor/includes/base/controls-stack.php(494): Elementor\Controls_Stack->init_controls() #2 /home/customer/www/seiutx.org/public_html/wp-content/plugins/elementor/includes/base/widget-base.php(177): Elementor\Controls_Stack->get_stack() #3 /home/customer/www/seiutx.org/public_html/wp-content/plugins/elementor/includes/base/controls-stack.php(300): Elementor\Widget_Base->get_stack() #4 /home/customer/www/seiutx.org/public_html/wp-content/plugins/elementor/includes/base/controls-stack.php(2369): Elementor\Controls_Stack->get_controls() #5 /home/customer/www/seiutx.org/public_html/wp-cont in /home/customer/www/seiutx.org/public_html/wp-content/plugins/gavias-oxpitan-themer/elementor/elements/gva-icon-box-styles.php on line 287